What is Piperlongumine?
Piperlongumine is a natural active ingredient in the fruits and roots of Piper longum L. plant.
It is becoming increasingly popular for its anti-cancer and anti-aging properties.
According to Wikipedia, the IUPAC name of piperlongumine is 1-[(2E)-3-(3,4,5-Trimethoxyphenyl)prop-2-enoyl]-5,6-dihydropyridin-2(1H)-one, and some websites prefer to use 5,6-dihydro-1-[(2E)-1-oxo-3-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-2-propenyl]-2(1H)-pyridinone.
The full chemical name of piperlongumine is so long and no people can remember, so researchers use piplartine or piperlongumine in most of the scientific documents. And 20069-09-4 is its CAS registered number.
Botanical sources of Piperlongumine
Piperlongumine is mainly found in Piper longum, a plant belonging to South Asian origin. India and China are the two main countries that sell commercial Piper longum powders and supplements on Amazon and other e-commerce websites.
Piper longum is commonly known as long pepper or pippali in India. Piper longum contains alkaloids, amides, Lignans, Esters, volatile oils, etc.
The Piper longum fruit has been used in the Ayurvedic system of medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicines for a very long time.
Chemical constituents of Piper Longum plant
The primary active ingredients isolated from Piper longum include piperine, piperlongumine, sylvatin, sesamin, diaeudesmin piperlonguminine, pipermonaline, and piperundecalidine. Below are some chemical components reported to be part of piper longum:
There is no bulk piperlongumine powder on the market yet. Most of the suppliers are reagent companies, and their products are for research use only. In addition, their quantity is usually only 10mg to 500mg in a very small bottle.
There are ratio extracts of piper longum plant, with popular specifications such as 4:1, 10:1, 20:1, etc.
Indian herbal products containing piperlongumine are mainly ratio extract. How many piperlongumines are in it? Nobody knows. Only standardized piperlongumine from piper longumine can be measured.
Cima’s specification is 98% min.
If you have any inquiry, please don’t hesitate to contact us for more details.
Piperlongumine is not soluble in water. So if you want to make full use of piperlongumine supplements, you need to make piperlongumine in the forms of capsules instead of piperlongumine tablets or powders.
Piperlongumine is soluble in organic solvents such as ethanol, DMSO, and dimethylformamide (DMF).
Mechanism of Action of Piperlongumine
How piperlongumine works against cancers is complicated. The below flow chart is just a brief illustration:
If these are hard to understand, we may find that piperlongumine works closely with DNA damage, cell cycle arrest, apoptosis, Necrosis, reduction of tumor volumes in various animal models, etc.
Benefits of Piperlongumine
As a traditional medicine used in China and India, piper longum plant is reported to be a respiratory tonic, and good for healthy digestion and immune system.
For piperlongumine itself, anti-cancer and anti-aging are the two main concerns.
Piperlongumine for anti-aging (senolytic)
Piperlongumine is a novel senolytic agent. If you want to know how piperlongumine works for anti-aging, you need to know senescent cells first.
Senescent cells play a vital role in many age‐associated diseases. We can say that senescent cells are the root cause of aging.
Then how to solve these diseases? The easiest way is to kill these senescent cells! Senescent cells are fat dysfunctional cells that accumulate with age in all tissues and organs of your body. Piperlongumine induces apoptosis in senescent cells and kills them through a ROS-independent mechanism.
Piperlongumine is able to slow down senescent cells’ formation, selectively destory senescent cells and revitalize your health. It works well with other anti-aging ingredients, such as pterostilbene, resveratrol, fisetin, etc.
piperlongumine clinical trials
Piperlongumine has been extensively studied in cancer treatment going up on clinical trials. Since the first report related to its use on cancer research (in 2011) around 80 papers have been published in less than 10 years, but a gap still remains. There are no metabolism studies of piperlongumine in the human organism.
Piperlongumine side effects
No adverse effects are reported yet.
Supplements containing Piperlongumine
There are not so many supplements that have piperlongumine ingredient in it. It’s the anti-aging or senolytic property that supplement brands care about.
No dosing information is available.
We’ll update the dosing information in the coming future, please subscribe to our newsletter for the latest update.
Where to buy Piperlongumine powder?
Currently, there is no standardized piperlongumine elsewhere.
Cima Science is the first company to customize bulk piperlongumine powder 98% and 99% in large quantities. If you want to know the pricing and technical documents such as COA, MSDS, or any other certificates, just feel free to let us know.
Downloadable References on Piperlongumine:
- Discovery of piperlongumine as a potential novel lead for the development of senolytic agents
- Evaluation of In-Vitro Antioxidant Activity of Piperlongumine Isolated from Piper Longum Linn.
- Metabolic profile and safety of piperlongumine
- Overview for Various Aspects of the Health Benefits of Piper Longum Linn. Fruit
- Overview of the therapeutic potential of piplartine (piperlongumine)
- Piperlongumine and some of its analogs inhibit selectively the human immunoproteasome over the constitutive proteasome
- Piperlongumine increases sensitivity of colorectal cancer cells to radiation Involvement of ROS production via dual inhibition of glutathione and thioredoxin systems
- Piperlongumine Induces Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS)-Dependent Downregulation of Specificity Protein Transcription Factors
- Piperlongumine inhibits cancer stem cell properties and regulates multiple malignant phenotypes in oral cancer
- Piperlongumine piplartine as a lead compound for anticancer agents Synthesis and properties of analogues A minireview
- Piperlongumine rapidly induces the death of human pancreatic cancer cells mainly through the induction of ferroptosis
- Preformulation Studies on Piperlongumine
- Senolytic activity of piperlongumine analogues Synthesis and biological evaluation
- Synthesis, cellular evaluation, and mechanism of action of piperlongumine analogs